Losing weight is hard: Part 2

Here is the update to my post last month entitled "Losing weight is hard".

Through a program of restricted eating and intense exercise, I was able to lose most of my December "Christmas baking" weight:


I'm back down to around 160lbs and about 13.5% body fat.

Surprisingly, this is still on the high end of normal! Mid-range for my height should be about 155lbs and 12.5% body fat. That will be my goal after we return from the wedding.

Even 130lbs would still be in the "healthy" range. I can actually remember quite well when I was 130lbs. It would have been in high school, where admittedly, I was a bit of a beanpole :-)

Another interesting chart is my one-year plot (missing the period when the scale was being shipped):


When I look back and see how I was up over 170, that seems so high, but meanwhile it had become the "new normal."

It's important to keep things in perspective, and I've found that our Internet scale really helps with that.

Realistically, Melissa and I will probably gain some weight during 2 weeks of all-inclusive resort food, but at least we have a good baseline, and a working system for losing weight.

Finally, a few tips:

  1. It will take longer than you think, and it will be harder than you think, but stick to the plan!
  2. On a related note, make sure you have a plan. Write down exactly what you can and cannot eat. Carry a copy in your wallet if you have do (Melissa did).
  3. Sugar is evil when it comes to weight loss. In my personal experience, sugar intake is the single largest factor. Do everything you can to eliminate it from your diet.
  4. Keep to your routine! If you "fall off the wagon," get back on immediately. If you go back to bad eating/exercise habits for more than a day, it will be incredibly hard to correct.
  5. Always set a goal, and remember why you are losing the weight (health, quality of life, self esteem, special event, beach season, etc.)
  6. Discover new healthy treats to displace unhealthy ones, but make sure not to go overboard, and be sure that the treat is actually diet-friendly.
  7. And most importantly: Have a partner! When the going gets tough, you need someone to kick your butt. Mel and I both had to kick each others' a few times :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Manulife CoverMe insurance isn't worth it

Why do people vote Conservative / Republican?

Are you actually hungry?