h5note: HTML5 Notepad

For the longest time, I've been searching for a quick, easy way to take quick meeting notes.

I used to use a text editor called SciTE, the same editor I use for quick code editing, but I find managing files in a file system to be a real pain.

When I had an iPad for a while, I liked the default Notes application, but hated that there was no cloud storage or synchronization. (No, the crappy Gmail sync doesn't count)

Then I heard about EverNote. I thought that was the answer to my prayers, but unfortunately those guys decided  to add every conceivable feature in the universe and have ended up with a bloated mess that takes an hour and a half to load.

There's a bunch of others I've tried too, like UberNote, Springpad, and the Diigo mishmash of apps.

But nothing was small enough, or simple enough for my taste.

So I did what any good developer does.

I created a "learning" project to scratch my own itch.

I used technology I've discussed at the HTML5 Toronto Meetup, and created the HTML5 Notepad:


All you do is type "h5note.com" into your browser bar on any device -- PC, Mac, iPhone, Android -- and start taking notes.

Everything is automatically saved to the device as you type. You can also sign in with a Google account and then your notes are synchronized across all of your devices.

It just works.

So what do you think? Does this fill a void for you, or do you have a better solution for note-taking already? Let me know in the comments.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Manulife CoverMe insurance isn't worth it

The slow, painful death of social media

Are you actually hungry?