Rogers' infrastructure still sucks after all these years

I've had the displeasure of using Rogers cable Internet at two different places I've been staying recently -- one in Guelph, and one in Breslau.

I remember back in the day (2003-ish, the last time I had Rogers myself) I had occasional, but persistent problems with one major thing -- any time I had a large outgoing transfer happening, all of my incoming transfers went slow and flaky.

For instance, my telnet connections will stay connected for hours -- until I send a big (10-15MB) upload through via FTP. Then it drops the connection.

Or if I do a big Subversion commit, all of the sudden all my DNS lookups start failing. This is something I remember from years and years ago, that they still apparently haven't fixed.

For the longest time, I thought this was just a problem with cable modem technology, so I bought Bell DSL and was reasonably satisfied (until they started capping and throttling, that is).

However, when I was in Texas, I had Time Warner cable Internet and I have to say that it was excellent! The speed was better than Bell's DSL, and I never had trouble with simultaneous incoming/outgoing transfers.

As far as I know, the underlying technology is nearly the same -- which leads me to believe that Rogers' problems are just incompetance, or more likely, laziness. With the lack of competition in Canada, people only have a choice between crap, or crappier.

By the way, I love how this site: http://www.ihaterogers.ca/ shows up on the first Google results page for the search "Rogers".

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Manulife CoverMe insurance isn't worth it

Are you actually hungry?

The slow, painful death of social media